Friday, August 14, 2009

Sleep

I know that sleep is something that all parents complain about. At the moment we don't have it too bad. Both kids sleep through the night ... once they fall asleep.

When Jill was a baby she woke every 45 minutes for the first year or so. Sometimes she would stretch it out to 90 minutes.

That slowly got better as she got older, but she is a night owl.

I am not.

Anymore.

For the longest time she was going to sleep between 11 and 1 and sleeping until 8 the next morning. Slowly but surely we got her going to bed between 8:30 and 9:30.

That was when she was in pre-school every morning. Once that ended, so the sleeping.

Cait has always been a decent sleeper. She had the usual newborn adjustment period, but now at 15 months she will go to sleep at 8:30 and sleep for 11 or 12 hours.

She doesn't like to go to sleep if Jill is still up. Jill is always still up.

Right now it is 10:10. Jill has been in her bed for over 45 minutes. She has had 3 potty runs, 2 living room escapes, 4 calls for more stuffies, 1 screaming for no reason bout so we will come running. Now she is into the drinks and snacks portion of her nightly performance.

"I am starving. I am so thirsty. Just a splash of water. Please!" (we do make sure that she is well fed and watered before she goes to bed).

"My body is empty" is what she is currently shouting at me from her bed.

I know she is tired. I can see it in her face and in her behaviour. She just won't give in.

Cait had fallen asleep at 7:30 and then woke up at 9 with a huge grin feeling just peachy after such a great nap.

I know that once we get back to school routines that both girls (and Rob and I) will start to sleep better.

I guess what I am trying to say is I am tired. And it doesn't look like that is going to change tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment